Friday, April 23, 2010

PROM?! It may be a bit overhyped.

Yep, I said it. It's a bit overhyped. I was going crazy because the girl I wanted to ask to the prom got asked by another dude before I could, and that was sort of my only option... Luckily I was able to ask my other friend who I am already taking to her prom.

But yeah, I was stressing so bad because I actually wanted to go with her... I was slow the draw I guess, pretty bad. I'd go with "I have horrible luck" (which I do), but I know if I asked her she would have said yes, so it's not horrible luck, just me taking too long. After I found out, I just started to panic, go crazy, got kind of sad because I didn't have a backup, so I went to talk to some friends. Most of them just comforted me, said some form of "I'm sorry," but there was one guy who said some very deep things to me that actually made me think of what prom actually was.

[00:34] Chensaw: Kyle
[00:35] Chensaw: im not sure of the reason why im telling you this
[00:35] Chensaw: but the point im trying to make is
[00:36] Chensaw: Prom doesnt really matter as far as who you go with
[00:36] Chensaw: what prom is
[00:36] Chensaw: is a celebration of your 4 years of high school

Yeah I chat late, so what. I normally stay up past midnight now, bad habit of mine. But yeah, his alias is Chensaw; I don't know his real name, I know he lives in Florida, but I trust him so far as to let him know my real name and to discuss things like these to him.

We guys stress out so much trying to figure out who to ask to prom and in what extravagant way we can ask out (hopefully) partner. Some ask very simply like asking the question straight up, others decide to try to do something and go all-out. Personally, I like the simple, but I digress. We stress out if the person we want to go with gets taken. But after this little conversation I had with Chen, it opened my eyes.

It really doesn't matter who we go with. When prom comes close, everyone asks "Who're you going to ask?" or "Who are you going with?" That's all people ask about prom, aside from "What dress are you going to wear?/What are you wearing to prom?" Prom was meant to be something special - it doesn't matter if you go to prom with someone or not, it doesn't matter if you got rejected when you asked, what matters is that you enjoy prom. You're going with someone? Great for you, hope you two have a fun time. Going alone? You're awesome for coming, even if it's not with anyone. Hell, go with your friends! Prom's about enjoying yourself, and as Chen said, it's "a celebration of your 4 years at high school." After reading that, I became well relaxed, start to stress less about who to ask because he was right.

That's my thoughts for this week. Going solo, going as a couple, going with friends, it doesn't matter as long as you celebrate. In the words of the famous Black Eyed Peas, "Just live it up."

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home